Sunday 29 April 2012

Cracked 5k - and then some!

One week after graduating from C25K I have managed to crack 5k - but definitely NOT in 30 minutes - but speed isn't my focus, I'm more interested in being able to keep running.

I've discovered that once I get past the first 10-15 minutes of running along thinking "I can't possibly do this, what am doing this for.........." I actually get "used" to running and can carry on for much longer than I ever anticipated.

Yesterday Dot and I went out initially intending to run for 30 minutes but hoping to be able to push it to 40 to do the 5k that I'd just missed on Thursday, but we found we were able to run for nearly 44 minutes covering 3.55 miles - that's 5.7k (nearly 6k!!!) I included a sprint towards the end (well, I call it sprinting and it's one heck of a lot faster than my normal running) and could have probably carried on for longer if I'd tried.

I'm getting such a high from running - partly I expect from the endorphins but mostly I think from the sheer sense of pride and achievement! I really never thought I could do this but I can and it's great! It is so wonderful to feel good about myself for once :-)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! Brilliant achievement.

    I had to take the whole family out with me on Saturday to motivate myself to go. Johnny was on his bike, which was fine, I know Mark can run much further/faster than I can, so that was fine too. But Hubby was an unknown quantity. He hasn't run to my knowledge in at leas 18 years of marriage. But the sod kept up all the way (and I suspect could have gone on and faster too). Life is not fair. I had been proud of my achievement and finding out that for him it is small potatoes has really taken the wind out of my sails.

    On the bright side, I did trial the free version of Endomondo and liked it (though it dropped out halfway through my route - not sure if I pressed something with my boob accidentally....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Locket! I'm SO very proud of you! What a wonderful achievement. I need to get back to running -- I've found a great substitute with aerobics classes at work -- it's so easy just to pop into the health center at the end of the day before I go home. Once I get home some attack of laziness comes over me. I'd forgotten that this blog was here -- I'm so happy I hit it on a great post day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!! I love that you are getting that runners high, something I have yet to feel (looking forward to it taking over from the current hate I feel).

    I know what you mean about getting 'used' to running. I am finding the biggers runs and smaller walks on the couch to 10k programme easier to deal with than the bigger walks as I can get into it more.

    ReplyDelete