Saturday 12 May 2012

Odd run

I've just got back from an odd run.

It was odd in the sense that I achieved a personal best time of a mile in 10 minutes 57 seconds which is a minute faster than my previous best and between 1.5-2 minutes faster than my average. And it was uphill for the end of the first mile too. But I found I just couldn't keep going and had to stop several times to walk - which I never normally do.

After a while I paused Endomondo when I was walking and started it again when I tried running again. After 3 miles I stopped and walked the rest of the way home feeling frustrated with myself

I don't know if it was a psychological thing. Because I had walked briefly on the very steep bit, maybe it meant that I hadn't "run" the whole thing which may have made it easier to stop and walk again?

Or it may have just been a physical thing. I hadn't intended to run the first mile faster than normal but it was a different, more public route so I may have been trying to go faster subconsciously - and I may just have tired myself out too soon. And then there was the steep bit that really took it out of me.

I came back thinking I had failed and that it was a "bad" run but my husband argues that I should be celebrating my personal best instead.

I think I'm worried that if I start stopping and walking then I won't be able to make myself keep going and I'll keep "giving up" and then those 9+ weeks of training will be wasted :-(

P.S. I've just checked Endomondo and I actually ran my fastest 3 miles so far - even though I walked some of it and didn't pause Endo every time I walked!

No comments:

Post a Comment