Monday 7 May 2012

Failed at fartlek

I tried to do the fartlek approach for my run yesterday using the week 1 podcast for my intervals but I have to confess that I totally failed.

I'm a really slow runner - it's the only way I know to keep going for 30+ minutes - so trying to run just a little bit faster right from the start was just a disaster. I was instantly out of breath and struggling to "jog" the 90 seconds and even had to walk at times.

In the end I just gave up on trying to run faster and plodded on at my usual slow pace but I was still puffed out and listening to Laura saying things like "slow down to a walk" and "stop running now" (or however she says it) really affected my incentive to keep going! And when she said to stop running at the end I just stopped even though I had only run for 20 minutes and covered 1.67 miles.

I just didn't have the energy to keep going which is frustrating as I have been managing to run for 5k or more for the last 3 runs. :-(

And it was such a beautiful sunny day (at last) and I really wanted to have a good run! It was also the first time that I had gone out on my own. Usually I have Dot or Mr Locket with me to keep me motivated.

Frustrating! Hopefully the weather will be good enough for me to go for another run today - this time I will go back to my usual slow and steady plod - I'm just not ready to try going faster yet.

2 comments:

  1. Looking at our Endomondos, I run pretty much the same dead slow pace (only you keep going longer). Only a few days back, there was a sudden spurt in my speed - I got followed by a horse which was freaking me out so I had to run away! Din't view it as a training aid at the time, but maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm BEGGING you to take off that stupid captcha thing - 3 times I've had to try!

    ReplyDelete