Thursday 9 February 2012

Feeling frustrated

I'm feeling very frustrated and a bit of a fraud too after everyone's encouraging comments as I haven't been able to run since Saturday because of my knee - even walking hurts it.  I know I can't call myself a runner yet but I have been so proud of myself for going out regularly and I am really disappointed that I'm having to stop for a while when I've only just started.

And I was frustrated when I went to Slimming World on Tuesday because instead of losing pounds from all this new exercise I had actually put on half a pound.  This was probably a combination of the wine I had drunk this week and catch-up from last week when I ate an awful lot of cake but only gained half a pound.  So a pound on in two weeks isn't too bad but it's going in the wrong direction so I need to try a bit harder and cut down on the treats.  The problem is that when the dieting doesn't go so well my natural reaction is to eat more naughty things almost in rebellion!

I had my first assessment at the gym at our local hospital today - I had a referral from my doctor as part of my "getting better" programme.  After the initial info gathering session and weight, height, blood pressure, waist/hip/chest etc measurements I got to go on a couple of the machines.  I had told the trainer that I had hurt my knee so he selected exercises that shouldn't hurt that particular muscle.

I did 10 minutes on the bike - set to fairly low impact which was a relief, then 7 minutes rowing which was fun and then I managed 3 minutes on the cross trainer before practically falling off with jelly legs!  It was really hard work!  As the gym is in the hospital it has funny opening times so I had to stop there as it was closing for the day.

My knee didn't hurt at all during the exercise but it is a bit sore now that I am resting so I am going to take some more ibuprofen and see how it is.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been running since Sunday - it's freezing inside, so there is no way I am prancing about outdoors. But I feel really irritable and wonder if it's not being able to go which is doing it. Maybe I need to run up and down the stairs or something.

    ReplyDelete